Wednesday, February 16, 2011

So... how did that baby get in your tummy?

It's official.  The questions have officially started.  I have to start off by saying that Jaxton is temporarily sleeping in our room. 
So last night Jaxton was in bed and I decided that I would read a little before I went to sleep.  I thought he was sleeping, because when I came in to go to bed he didn't budge or say anything.  Well the minute I turned one page he popped up and the conversation went like this:

Jaxton:  Mommy, what are you doing?

Me:  Reading a book

Jaxton:  A book or a magazine?

Me:  A book.

Jaxton:  What book is it?

Me:  A book about pregnancy

Jaxton:  Why?

Me:  Because Mommy is going to have a baby... remember?

Jaxton:  Oh yah, I remember.  So... you're pregnant?

Me:  Yes buddy.  I'm pregnant.

Jaxton:  So... how did that baby get in your tummy?

Me:  (a slight pause... how do I answer this to an almost 4 year old...)  I then say "Well, God wanted Mommy to have a baby.  So now there's a baby in my tummy." 

At this point Jaxton is now up in my bed with me because he is so intrigued with the fact that I'm having a baby and reading a pregnancy book, that he has to come and look at it himself.

Jaxton:  Well why does God want you to have a baby?

Me:  It's called a gift, buddy.  A baby is a gift from God so I guess God wanted to give Mommy and Daddy a gift.

Jaxton:  Well what about me?  Is the baby my present too?

Me:  Yes buddy.  You get to be a big brother.  That's a really special gift.

Jaxton:  So... when the baby comes out of your tummy, it will crawl?

Me:  Not right away because it will be too little.  But when it grows, you can help teach the baby to crawl.

Jaxton:  Ok.  I will teach it.  So... when the baby comes out of your tummy, is your food gonna splash everywhere in the whole room?  (All the while, using big hand gestures and funny facial expressions)

Me:  (I can't help but laugh at this point)  "No my food won't splash everywhere when the baby comes out"

Jaxton:  (a long pause for thought)  "But why?  I thought food goes to our tummies"

Me:  Well that is true, but my food will be digested, so I promise that food won't splash everywhere

Jaxton:  Hmmm, ok.  (with a shrug of his shoulders)

After that he looked at the pictures of a baby as it progresses through pregnancy and we learned all about the umbilical cord. 
Mitch walked in from work a few minutes after all this ended, and Jaxton promptly got the book and explained to Mitch why babies have umbilical cords.
It was an interesting night. 
       

2 comments:

Kelsi said...

Ha ha he is so dang cute. This conversation cracks me up. Kids are the best!

Dean and Rachel said...

That is SO funny! I am dying about the food splashing everywhere. What a smart kid...Hope you're feeling well.