Sunday, February 20, 2011

Blustery Day traditions... and big messes

Well today was cold and snowy.  Thankfully, today is Sunday and all I really had to do was go to Church.  I got to enjoy the snow from inside my house.  Being that I was all warm and cozy in my house, I decided that it would be a perfect day to carry on a family tradition.
When we were kids, my Mom would make us hot chocolate and homemade cinnamon crispas.  (Why they are called "cinnamon crispas" and not "cinnamon crisps" is something I don't know.  One of us probably couldn't pronounce it as a kid, and so "cinnamon crispas" just stuck).  Anyway, I have never made them myself, and I remember when it was cold and rainy outside it was always such a special treat when my Mom made these for us.  So I decided to take a stab at it and make some for the kids.  I must admit, I had a few myself and they weren't as good as when Mom makes them, but it sure did bring back warm and fuzzy memories.
The kids loved them... especially Kayla.  And oh my.... what a mess she was by the time she was finished eating.  Here are some pictures to prove it...



 You can't see it in these pictures, but when I took her down to wash her up, there was sticky cinnamon & sugar all down the front of her.  It somehow made it's way all the way into her diaper, too... and she couldn't have been more satisfied.  I had to laugh.

3 comments:

Dean and Rachel said...

Oh I want to see your kids. They are so big now. Those look good. What's the recipe? I want to try them!

Kelsi said...

She is so dang cute! Those look delicious. Share the recipe!

Bren said...

What a great memory huh? I have been wanting to do this for Eric, and I still haven't had a chance....Good Old Arizona! Thes pictures are too funny!