Wednesday, April 6, 2011

words, words... oh how we love words!

As some of you know, Kayla is having a really hard time learning to talk.  We have seen a hearing specialist, which is required before we are able to get her into a speech therapist, and the results for her right ear were inconclusive.  She failed all tests on her right ear, but that's because they think that there might be fluid in her ear.  We have to go back and re-do the testing once the fluid clears up... if fluid is actually the problem.  We'll see.
Anyway, every day is a struggle with her speech.  She usually whines and cries when she wants something and we have to tell her to use her words.  At that point we have to say whatever word she's looking for first, and then she tries to repeat it.  99% of the time this is a very frustrating event for anyone involved.  She so badly wants to talk and gets so frustrated that she just can't get the sounds out right.  We so badly want to help her but just don't know how.
Well this morning, instead of whining and crying for something to drink she just looked at me and said "drink".  I was in a little bit of shock, I must say.  Of course, it didn't come out sounding exactly like the word "drink" but it was close enough that we both knew it was "drink".  I made such a big deal about how proud I was and she got so excited!  That is the first time that she just came out with a request on her own without tears and without prompting for words.  It was amazing!
To make the morning even more exciting, when she was done with her french toast, instead of pointing and whining for more, she just looked at Mitch and said "more".  I observed this from the reflection in the bathroom mirror and I had to stop putting on my make-up to smile.  He was busy making coffee and wasn't really catching on, and I heard her keep saying "more".  He must have been in la-la land because I finally said to him, "listen to Kayla.  She's asking for more".  Then it was his turn to be in a little bit of shock.
A few minutes later, I was in the kitchen and she gave me her cup and said "more".  She wanted more milk.  I got her some and gave it to her and she said "thanks".  It was such an amazing morning! 
Maybe this is a turning point...

2 comments:

Dean and Rachel said...

Oh my gosh I bet you are SO excited. I had no idea she was struggling. I'm sure it is so hard! GOOD LUCK...keep me posted!!!

Kelsi said...

GOOD FOR HER!!!!! Hopefully the fluid is clearing up. Its so sad when they can't talk and want to communicate so badly!