On Thursday when I left work, I went straight to Cynthia's last softball game of the year, where Mitch and the kids already were. The kids got bored on the bleachers (where they were sitting underneath an umbrella for shade). I was quite impressed, by the way, that Mitch had thought of shade to put everyone under. Anyway, they were getting bored on the bleachers so I let them get down to run around a little bit. Not long later, I notice Kayla's skin getting really red. I asked Mitch if he put sunscreen on them and he answered with a big fat "no". So I continue, "well did you bring sunscreen?". Again, a big fat "no". At that point, it's back to sitting underneath the umbrella, which didn't work very well with a 4 year old and a two year old. Needless to say, I have two sunburned children. Ask me how excited I was about that.
Well when the game ended and we got home, I started dinner. As I'm making dinner, the kids are playing and Mitch is cleaning this big, metal, restaurant size coffee maker. (He's going on a catering trip for 10 days and he has to bring it with him). Everything is all hunky dory and then I see out of the side of my eye: Jaxton runs through the kitchen and then starts screaming. I thought that he had stubbed his toe one of the bar stools but quickly realized it was more than that. Mitch had immediately swooped him up and is running to the sink with him. I see blood dripping through his toes and Mitch must have seen my eye catch it, because he says to me that I shouldn't look yet.
Oh great. What the hell just happened? Well, Jaxton caught the coffee machine with his foot as he was running by and put a big gash in it. It was not pleasant, and seeing Jaxton cry and clap his hands because he had no idea what else to do with the pain, made me cry.
Against better judgement (I won't go into that part) I didn't take him to the emergency room. I took him to the doctor the next day. That was a bad idea and I should have gone with my gut, and taken him in to the ER when it happened. Turns out he needed stitches, but at this point we were past the 12 hour mark and they couldn't stitch it. Which means now that it has to be left open and cared for. A much longer healing process that a 4 year old doesn't even understand... changing wrappings two times a day, oral antibiotics, no shoes, etc. We have been nursing this wound all weekend. Which brings us to today. My first real day off.
We had well-child checkups for both kids bright and early this morning as well as a follow-up appt. for Jaxton's foot. Kayla was a breeze; a clean bill of health and no shots. Jaxton, on the other hand, was not only unhappy to be back in the doctor's office with his foot, but got two shots in his left leg and 1 shot in his right leg. We then had to go to the lab to get blood drawn. He was not a happy camper. He tried so hard to be so good, so I took him for ice cream afterward. And now both kids are taking naps. It can only go uphill from here. Here are some pictures of his foot.
Jaxton's foot 1 day after it happened
Jaxton's foot 2 days after it happened
1 comment:
I missed you today at work!!!!! COME BACK!!! Just kidding I am SOOO happy you get to be a stay at home mom. That is such a bad gash. Poor kid! I hope it heals fast.
Post a Comment